Sunday, August 05, 2007

A Spirit Filled Sabbath

I truly had a spiritual feast at Church today and throughout the rest of the day. The testimonies born during Sacrament meeting were so beautiful. My friend Sicily bore a beautiful testimony of Christ. She also mentioned how she grew up with 2 brothers and grew up always wanting a sister. She said that now she's in a ward where she got her wish- that she has a whole ward of sisters. I can relate so much to what she said. Even though I now have a sister, I'm still 18 years older than her. I'm so, so grateful to have a ward of sisters, of best friends. This is an old picture taken in February with some of these dear sisters when we went out for my birthday. I love them all so much!



In Relief Society I was excited to see that Sis. Campbell was giving the lesson. Not only did her son and my husband grow up together in the ward as really good friends, I get the wonderful blessing to be her Visiting Teacher. I have grown to love her so much. Her lesson today was about Pres. Hinckley which was another treat. I love the Prophet so much. It was great to learn more about his past. She shared that one of Pres. Hinckley's favorite songs is "Oh Danny Boy." At the end of her lesson her husband came and sang that song for us. I didn't know that he sang let alone sang so well. It was beautiful and the Spirit was so strong.



Sunday School was also wonderful. We just finished up studying about the ministry of Christ in Jerusalem. We're now in Acts and today we talked about the Apostles. Bro. Bulloch opened with some questions that really made me think. He asked these 3 questions: When's the last time you testified of Christ? When's the last time you testified of Christ outside of fast and testimony meeting? And, when's the last time you testified of Christ to someone who wasn't a member of the Church? Although I can remember the last time I did these three things I was ashamed that it's been so long. I really need to not only testify of Christ better by my example, but also not be afraid to do so vocally to others. I need to be more aware of promptings and opportunities to testify of loving Savior. I cannot imagine my life without my testimony and knowledge of the living reality of Jesus Christ so why would I be afraid or selfish enough to not share this wonderful blessing I treasure with others whom I love and I know that Heavenly Father loves. I am so grateful for such a wonderful ward and to be a member of this Church where I can partake of such spiritual feasts as I did today at church.



It was nice not to have any plans at all today but to just rest and enjoy this Sunday. After Church and after Robert and Baily went down for their nap I got to enjoy some peace and quiet time to read my scriptures and reflect on things. I was reading in Ether and got to read one of my very favorite chapters, chapter 12. It's all about faith. There were 3 verses that really stuck out to me today.

6 And now, I, Moroni, would speak somewhat concerning these things; I would show unto the world that faith is things which are hoped for and not seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith.

27 And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.


37 And it came to pass that the Lord said unto me: If they have not charity it mattereth not unto thee, thou hast been faithful; wherefore, thy garments shall be made clean. And because thou hast seen thy weakness thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father.

I know I've been struggling a lot with my weaknesses and have been frustrated at them. But after reading these I know that I have these weaknesses for a reason. I need to be more humble and prayerful and I look forward to the day when my weaknesses will be strengths. That's such an awesome promise. And I can't wait to not only be sitting in the mansion that my Father has prepared for me, but to be worthy and feel good about sitting in His presence.


After I read my scriptures I read my Patriarchal Blessing. It's always so refreshing and what an awesome blessing that we are able to have that direct blessing from Heavenly Father directed just for ourselves. It's definitely one of His tender mercies. I was also listening to KZion radio and my favorite hymn and version of it came on. It's "I Know That My Redeemer Lives" by: Linda Rowberry. This is on the EFY cd from the year that I got to go to EFY. That song has got me through some really rough times in my life. I truly feel the reality of the living Christ and His love for me every time I hear this beautiful song and arrangement.





After that I was preparing a card and letter to send to my mom and I came across this super quote from Pres. Hinckley in the book that has quotes from him especially for women. My mom sent it to me for my birthday and it's definitely one of my treasures. It's called "One Bright Shining Hope." Here's the quote:

"The gospel is a thing of joy. It provides us with a reason for gladness. Of course there are times of sorrow. Of course there are hours of concern and anxiety. We all worry. But the Lord has told us to lift our hearts and rejoice." GBH

That pretty much sums up how I have felt about the gospel today. I feel that my heart has been lifted and I have so many reasons to rejoice.

No comments: