Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Sad Farewell....

I was so sad yesterday when I found out about the passing of Heath Ledger. I loved him as an actor and it's just a sad situation. I feel so bad for his little girl. What a waste. Farewell Heath Ledger. Besides that, yesterday was a pretty good day. We had some potty training breakthroughs with the Bug which was great. So in the morning I tried the idea of sticking her on the potty and not letting her off until she actually went. Well 2 cups of water, 40 minutes and a bajillion books later... she finally went pee pee on the toilet. Yay!!! I was so excited I think I might have scared her. But then she got excited. After that I braved the thought of cleaning up pee pee and pooh and put her in her big girl panties with no diaper. So here's the downfall of pumping with fluids... they pee a lot! And apparently Baily pees a little bit a lot of times. We went through about 6 pairs of panties in that first hour. The good thing though is that she finally started realizing when she had to pee and even though it was just a little too late, when she had to go she would tell me she needed to go potty. She went 2 more times on the potty and it was an exciting day. I had to bribe her with candy and ice cream at first but it was worth it. When it was nap time I put her in her pull-up and that pretty much ended the potty training for the day. After she woke up she was not in the mood to go on the potty anymore and I wasn't in the mood to push her and deal with the tantrums. But I'll take what we got... it was definitely a successful morning in the potty training department. During the day I wasn't able to get a whole lot done since I had to be physically with Baily every minute. It was ok though because Baily and I had fun spending so much quality time together. We were dancing divas as you can see in the video and that was so much fun. We played with a lot of her toys,read lots of books and just had fun. In my BOM reading I was in 1 Nephi 16 and these scriptures are the ones that stuck out to me.
"19 And it came to pass that we did return without food to our families, and being much fatigued, because of their journeying, they did suffer much for the want of food.
20 And it came to pass that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to murmur exceedingly, because of their sufferings and afflictions in the wilderness; and also my father began to murmur against the Lord his God; yea, and they were all exceedingly sorrowful, even that they did
murmur against the Lord."
This is when Nephi broke his bow and they didn't have any food. I can understand Nephi's family's murmurings because I know what it's like to be hungry. I love my food. It made me think of something I learned at an Enrichment meeting a while back about how the commandment for emergency preparation and food storage is not just for our temporal welfare but for our spiritual welfare as well. If you think about your kids starving you realize you would do anything for them to feed them or maybe even yourselves. Who's to say that doesn't include stealing or hurting someone to get that food. If being hungry can cause a great prophet like Lehi to murmur against the Lord... what could it cause me or my family to do? So I feel like the precept I need to abide by from my reading yesterday is to get on my food storage... which means finding a way to afford to do it- which means a possible new job. I just need to get my food storage period. I also had some deep thoughts when I had a pretty deep conversation with my brother yesterday. I don't need to go into what exactly we were discussing but one of the things I realized from our conversation is how much Heavenly Father has blessed my life and how far I've come in the last 5 or so years. I've overcome some major trials and shortcomings. I still have a long way to go but I feel good about how far I've come in my spiritual progress and I know that it's what the Lord's done for me. I did not do it alone that's for sure. It's amazing what He can make us become if we just trust Him and do the best we can to follow His commandments. I felt hope and inspiration and a small glimpse of how much better I can be and what potential I have as His divine daughter. So that's it for my deep thoughts for the day. Not bad for a common Tuesday at home...

1 comment:

Becca said...

Yay! Congrats on the first potty success story. Just FYI if she's peeing a little at a time, she might not be ready to be potty trained. But who knows? That's just what I've heard. That is awesome news though, isn't it exciting? Brad got to clean pee up twice today, because Brooke is now in underwear. We'll see how it goes this time. Keep it up!