Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Big Ol' Teddy Bear!

I had to take Robert to work on Monday since Joaquin had his 1 month check-up with the Dr. The morning was pretty routine- nothing too exciting to report on. At his Dr.'s appointment he was pretty fussy because he was hungry. I should have fed him right before we left but he was sleeping and I didn't want to bother him. I couldn't believe it when he was weighed and came out at 12lbs. 10 oz. Holy cow! I think that's what Baily weighed when she was like 4 or 5 months old. And he's now 22". So that puts him in the 95th percentile for his weight and 50th for height. Baily was always 3rd -5th in weight and like 5th-10th in height until she was about 2. I tell ya'... it's from one extreme to the next with our kids I guess. He definitely is my big ol' teddy bear. He checked out fine with everything else but then the Dr. said he still looks yellowish and told me he wanted to get him tested for jaundice. He said he was pretty sure it was just a harmless nursing jaundice since he's only on breastmilk but he wanted to get Joaquin tested just in case it was the more serious kind of jaundice which is a symptom of liver disfunction. When he said this my heart dropped and it was all I could do to keep from tearing up right away. Robert's family has a lot of liver problems so I was totally freaking out and worried. Even though the Dr. said I shouldn't worry and it was probably nothing... I worried. I took Joaquin straight to the lab right after his appointment, well after I fed him in the van. They just took some blood from his heel and the lady that did the test could tell I was worried. She told me 9 times out of 10 nothing ever comes of this test and not to worry. She told me the test wasn't ordered stat so obviously the Dr. didn't think it was anything to worry about which comforted me a little. I think she may have had something with the Dr. getting the results back yesterday insstead of the normal 3-4 days. Anyway, after doing my best to have faith and put it in the Lord's hand instead of freaking out about it, it turns out that it is just nursing jaundice and my baby boy is completely healthy. Whew! I'm so grateful for the principle of faith and the peace that comes from knowing that if I have faith in Christ, no matter what happens, He's looking out for my best interest and He loves me and everything will work out. We didn't have FHE since Robert had to be at work by 6 the next morning and didn't get home until 8:30. We didn't have time after dinner so we're gonna have FHE tonight. So that's my Monday for ya'.

No comments: