Sunday, October 07, 2007

Uplifted, Edified and Inspired

I feel that I after today's sessions of General Conference that I have been truly been uplifted, edified and inspired. I loved each talk for different reasons but I want to note, so I can look back on this for reference, the talks that really stuck out to me and that I felt were for me personally what I needed to hear. I don't have time to expound on each of these talks but I at least want to mention them so I can look back and refer to these talks and remember how they touched me. First I want to say that I really missed Elder Faust at this Conference. For the morning session I loved Pres. Eyring's talk about taking time to recognize and write down every day how the God's hand blesses our lives and the lives of our family members. He said it is vital to remember how His hand has touched our lives. I love how every time he talks it feels so personal- as if he's talking with me face to face. I loved the newly sustained Apostle Elder Cook's talk about living by faith instead of fear. It was exciting to hear a new Apostle speak. I treasured Sis. Beck's talk about motherhood. It really touched home. She's going to be a great General Relief Society President. And as always I really enjoyed Elder Bednar's talk about clean hands and a pure heart. He always helps me understand gospel principles in a whole new light and understanding. The principle of clean hands and a pure heart has always been one that I've been fascinated by but never really grasped. I look forward to reading and studying this talk. And of course Pres. Hinckley's talk was a delight. I cannot express the love that I have for our beloved Prophet. I honestly feel his love for me and for all mankind. He talked about the First Vision and the Restoration and Joseph Smith and The Book of Mormon. It was simple yet profound.

In between the sessions I enjoyed some one on one time with Baily Bug. Sadly Robert had to work today so he didn't get home until around 2:30. After Baily went down for her nap I was able to enjoy some quiet scripture reading time ( I love the story of Alma and Amulek and Zeezrom!) and also finally read the talks from the General Relief Society Meeting. They were also simple but great. I loved Sis. Beck's emphasis on standing strong and immovable in faith, family and relief. I loved Pres. Monson's talk and the 3 goals he gave for us to help us of studying diligently, praying earnestly and serving willingly. There was a strong emphasis on Visiting Teaching which is something very near and dear to my heart.

Baily slept through the first half of the 2nd session and I have to admit that I dozed off during the 2nd talk. But besides that little nap I enjoyed the rest of the talks. I loved Elder Hales' talk about personal revelation. And I loved Elder Tenoro's simple testimony of the Priesthood and the blessings that come from it's power. And also as always, I really enjoyed Elder Oaks' talk about things that are good, better and best. I loved his emphasis on using our very limited time so wisely with family and choosing what is best for our family. It was very profound and thought provoking. He also made an exciting announcement that next year's Relief Society and Priesthood study will be the teachings of Joseph Smith. I'm so excited for that! And I also want to make note so that I can "remember", how touched I was by the music during these sessions. I especially loved when the Choir sang "A Child's Prayer" in today's morning session. I love when they sing the Primary songs and the simple classics. I feel like the music is just as important and edifying and uplifting as the talks are.

After the second session was over Robert watched his recorded Cardinals game. The Cardinals won again! Wahoo! It's always good when we get a win- it ensures an almost perfect chance that my hubby will be in a good mood during the week. While he watched the game Baily and I made some "coo cakes." She loves her cupcakes! I don't know why but cupcakes with sprinkles just seem like such a happy little treat! We spent most of the rest of the day outside in the perfect crisp, Autumn weather. Later on Robert's family showed up and Robert finished watching his game so the kids had fun playing around with him outside and the rest of us just enjoyed sitting and relaxing in the cool weather. We have had our AC off for 2 days now! Wahoo! I love this time of year. I broke the tradition of breakfast for dinner today because I just flat out didn't feel like cooking and cleaning up. My back was hurting so bad today and I was also having bad leg cramps and achy, swollen feet. And I was just plain tired. I'm gonna have to make the breakfast soon though so my cinnamon bread doesn't go bad! It was a nice relaxing day- exactly what I needed before the crazy week coming up. And it's so nice to start off a week and a month feeling so uplifted, edified and inspired!

No comments: