Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Family Scriptures

For our family scripture study in the past we usually read from the scripture stories books(Book of Mormon Stories, New Testament Stories, etc) since they seemed to hold the kid's attention span better than just reading straight from the scriptures (which we did occasionally).  It was a great way to get the kid's started with scripture reading and introduce them to the wonderful stories from the scriptures.  But as I've been doing my own reading in the Book of Mormon lately I had felt like we were missing out a bit on reading straight from the scriptures for family scripture study.  

So when I opened up the January Friend magazine and saw the activity "Book of Mormon Feast" I was so excited (link below).  It's a year long reading program for families and has a reading assignment from the Book of Mormon for each week.  It's a condensed version reading plan and it's perfect.  It highlights a lot of the major events.  I knew that would be perfect for us this year.  We are able to read directly from the scriptures but it's not too lengthy or too deep to not hold the kid's interest.


  Plus my kids are so excited to color the week's reading in the coloring chart (you color all the 1's for finishing week 1's assignment, 2's for 2nd week and so forth).  You have to explain what happens in between the gaps but I like that because it makes me have to know the stories pretty well so I can know what does happen in between the gaps:)  

We also use the gospel art picture book as we read and that helps give them visuals while still reading straight from the scriptures.  Each day's readings are still pretty short but let me tell you- that Book of Mormon is one powerful book.  I can truly testify that  this has happened since we started more diligently studying the Book of Mormon in our home:
 “there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.”    1. 
Gordon B. Hinckley, “A Testimony Vibrant and True,” Liahona andEnsign, Aug. 2005, 6.


And I can testify to the truthfulness of this Apostle's bold declaration- one of my all time favorite quotes about the Book of Mormon:

“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.” Marion G. Romney, “The Book of Mormon,” Ensign, May 1980, 67

I love the Book of Mormon!  And I love that my family is gaining a strong love for it as well.  I'm so thankful for the Friend magazine and all it's helpful, inspired resources that help our family draw closer to our Savior.  (They are also printing fun scripture figures that you can make into puppets in 10 of their issues this year- link below).  

Book of Mormon Feast reading chart here:
http://www.lds.org/friend/2012/01/book-of-mormon-feast?lang=eng
Book of Mormon Scriture Figures here:
http://www.lds.org/friend/2012/02/book-of-mormon-scripture-figures?lang=eng

No comments: